Skip to content

More than 100 evacuated due to fire in apartment building electrical control room

Firefighters were called at Gaston Rd. at 12:49 p.m.
110117-AdobeStock_134229099-fire-generic
(stock photo)

No one was injured in a Dartmouth apartment building fire Monday afternoon, but more than 100 people will have to find a place to stay the night.

Firefighters were called at Gaston Rd. at 12:49 p.m.

According to the Canadian Red Cross, the fire was in the 60-unit building's electrical control room.

The organization says a resulting power interruption is affecting elevators and other safety features. It's expected repairs won't be finished until at least Tuesday.

Tenants were allowed back in the building to get what they'll need for the night.

Most are planning to stay with friends or family and Canadian Red Cross volunteers are helping out those who don't have that option.
 




Meghan Groff

About the Author: Meghan Groff

Born in Michigan, raised in Ontario, schooled in Indiana and lives in Nova Scotia; Meghan is the community editor for HalifaxToday.ca.
Read more
Rogers Media
6080 Young Street Halifax, NS, B3K 5L2 © 2006-2021 Rogers Media. All rights reserved.