Skip to content

What to do if your car is damaged by a Halifax pothole

The municipality is hoping residents will take the time to report any issues they come across
pothole  turl 2016
(Stock photo/Jeff Turl)

With spring finally on its way, potholes are popping up all over the HRM.

The municipality is hoping residents will take the time to report any issues they come across.

"We rely heavily on residents to report them," says Brynn Langille, an HRM communications advisor.

Langille says anyone who sees a pothole can report it by calling 3-1-1 or visiting You can include your contact information, the location of the pothole or sinkhole, and other relevant details like the size of the hole and any safety concerns caused by it.

If your vehicle is actually damaged by a pothole, you can also call 3-1-1 to begin a claims process.

"People can be compensated depending on the outcome of the investigation and if the municipality is found to be liable," Langille says.

Some Halifax drivers have been taking to social media like Facebook and Twitter to let others know about potholes.



But Langille notes that the complaints must make it to the proper department so they can be resolved.

"It's important for a driver to determine if they should contact the municipality or the province," says Langille. "The province is responsible for highways, and the municipality would be responsible for streets that are mostly located in the urban core."

If the pothole is on a provincial highway, it must be reported to the Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal. You can email them at


Victoria  Walton

About the Author: Victoria Walton

After graduating from journalism at King's, Victoria Walton now works in the film industry and as's weekend editor.
Read more
Rogers Media
6080 Young Street Halifax, NS, B3K 5L2 © 2006-2019 Rogers Media. All rights reserved.