HALIFAX DISTRICT RCMP AND HALIFAX REGIONAL POLICE
Halifax District RCMP and Halifax Regional Police – Partners in Policing release impaired driving statistics for 2018.
In 2018, Halifax District RCMP and Halifax Regional Police – Partners in Policing – charged 606 drivers with impaired related offences. Of the 606 drivers, 572 were charged with Impaired Driving by Alcohol and 34 were charged with Impaired Driving by Drugs.
In 2018, 373 concerned citizens called 911 which resulted in 259 drivers being charged with impaired driving. Your Partners in Policing thank citizens for calling in suspected impaired drivers throughout the year.
"Unfortunately, some drivers put road users at risk by irresponsibly consuming drugs and alcohol," says Cpl. Lisa Croteau of the Halifax District RCMP. "Impaired drivers have all sorts of excuses but they don't stand up against sobriety testing."
We encourage citizens to continue to call 911 immediately if you suspect someone is driving while impaired. Here are some signs of an impaired driver:
- Driving unreasonably fast, slow or at an inconsistent speed
- Drifting in and out of lanes
- Tailgating and changing lanes frequently
- Making exceptionally wide turns
- Changing lanes or passing without sufficient clearance
- Overshooting or stopping well before stop signs or stop lights
- Disregarding signals and lights
- Approaching signals or leaving intersections too quickly or slowly
- Driving without headlights, failing to lower high beams or leaving turn signals on
- Driving with windows open in cold or inclement weather
“If you think someone is driving impaired, please call 911. Over half of the impaired drivers who we deal with is a result of calls from citizens who are concerned for the safety on our roadways. We appreciate their help in making our communities safer for everyone,” says Cst. John MacLeod of the Halifax Regional Police.
If you observe a potential impaired driver and call 911 please state your location and provide as much detail as possible such as a description of the vehicle, including the license plate number, colour, make and model, the direction of travel for the vehicle and a description of the driver.