Skip to content

Police officer taken to hospital after being assaulted (update, 4 photos)

Halifax Regional Police Chief Dan Kinsella was asked about the possibility of an officer being injured


A Halifax Regional Police officer has been taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries after an incident at the courthouse on Spring Garden Road.

HRP say the officer was assaulted in a common area of the building just before 11 a.m. by a man who was fleeing the provincial courthouse after being sentenced to a jail term.

The three year veteran of the department was at court on an unrelated matter.

There was a brief struggle with responding officers and sheriffs before the suspect was taken into custody.

"When one of our officers gets injured, it's very concerning to our HRP family," said police spokesperson Cst. John MacLeod. "We are a very close group and our thoughts go out to the officer's family. We do put ourselves in harm's way."

The investigation is ongoing and charges are anticipated. Police say more information will be released when it become available.


There's a large police presence at the provincial courthouse on Spring Garden Road.

At an unrelated news conference, Halifax Regional Police Chief Dan Kinsella was asked about the possibility of an officer being injured in an incident there, and whether it involved HRP or a sheriff.

"My understanding is that it may be an HRP officer, but I'm not 100 per cent sure because I know both organizations are there," he said.

Kinsella said there is an investigation ongoing at that location.

"I know that it's well in hand, we have supervision at the scene and our officers are looking after, not only that incident, the courts, and they're also looking after each other," he told media.

Just before noon, 95.7 reporter Dave Heintzman said EHS and around 6 police cruisers were outside the courthouse.

"There's an officer standing in front of the doors. He's not letting anybody in or out who is not an emergency responder ... not a whole lot of information so far. A lot of speculation but nothing confirmed from authorities," Heintzman said.

As of 12:30 p.m. the situation seems to be slowly winding down as police leave the scene.

However Heintzman says people trying to enter the court house are still being turned away.

"One person says they were told court would be back at 1:30 at the earliest," he said on Twitter.

Meghan Groff

About the Author: Meghan Groff

Born in Michigan, raised in Ontario, schooled in Indiana and lives in Nova Scotia; Meghan is the community editor for
Read more


Rogers Media
6080 Young Street Halifax, NS, B3K 5L2 © 2006-2021 Rogers Media. All rights reserved.