Residents of a 10 storey apartment building in the south-end were briefly evacuated after a fire broke out in a shed right behind the building.
Fire crews were called to 5415 Victoria St. at around 5 p.m. Saturday.
A district chief with Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency, Kevin Reade, told HalifaxToday.ca the shed is attached to a daycare and had toys inside.
"There was no power to the shed," he explained. "There's no, as far as we could see, external source or ignition for the fire."
He said Halifax Regional Police will remain on scene to secure the area until fire investigators arrive.
"We've had a rash of fires in the south-end so we want to treat this with the upmost priority," he said. "We don't know if it's arson. We need to find the source of the ignition."
No one was hurt and all residents were allowed back in their units at around 6 p.m.